Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Observations on Writing Poetry Under Pressure

So sometimes, over on my poetry blog, I'll write a really bad poem, and then suddenly I'll realize it's really bad, and so with a shock, I realize I have to write another poem really fast! So that the bad poem is not the top poem that anyone will see, if they click in. I have to move it further down, fast, and put something at least half-decent there at the top.

Admittedly, most of the time if I've written a really bad poem, I don't realize it for months. But sometimes I do realize that same day. Maybe even as quickly as an hour later.

But here's the crazy thing. Those poems-under-pressure sometimes turn out to be really outstanding! And you never would have written it. If it weren't for the really bad poem you wrote by mistake, that really put the heat on, you never would have written it.

How weird is that?

No comments: