Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, April 06, 2008

Been Watching Too Much Alton Brown on Food Network

That guy's great. It's crazy some of the stuff he comes up with. He'll take anything and make the making of it into food an interesting process. It makes you look around at the world in a new way - like just about anything could be Good Eats.

My forearm looks like it could be a sweet cut of meat. I've never been the slightest bit attracted to cannibalism as far as other people go - humans are such dirty animals - but as far as my own forearm...man, I picture that glazed with honey and black peppercorn, and served with a side of polenta. Now you're talking!

Or my entire right thigh would make an AWESOME bone-in roast.

But I kind of need it to get around, so.

4 comments:

Edana said...

I can't stand watching the food network, which is sort of weird considering how much I love food, but every single food network personality infuriates me. Including Alton Brown. I think he overdoes the geek thing. But I want his cookbooks so badly! I think I could read about it much more easily than I can watch it, and I would, and I'd get all excited about knowing how everything worked.

dogimo said...

Ok. I was coming to reply aghast and comment back directly at what you're talking about, but I made the mistake of re-reading the original post itself first, and now...and now...

Well. The post kind of derailed me a little. I find it less easy to be appalled by/make some big defense against your dislike of Alton Brown.

I'll try anyway, but I kind of "lost the vibe" so this is going to seem a bit wan. Alton Brown? How can you not like Alton Brown? I love Alton Brown, that's just who he is, he's not 'doing' it or 'overdoing' the geek thing, he's just, you know, he's just.

Man.

I'm sorry, my thigh is really distracting me now.

Yeah, maybe Alton is scraping the barrel a bit lately, as to what he digs up to geek out over.

Edana said...

I saw an episode that was basically him geeking out about the history of peanuts. Really? The history of peanuts?

That was the end of me trying to watch his show. But I totally wouldn't want the cookbooks if I didn't actually like him! I do like him. I just can't stand watching someone geek out over the history of peanuts for an hour. It's too much.

dogimo said...

See, I were a producer on that show, I would have brought in a shirt in Alton's size to the shoot that day, yellow with black Charlie-Brown stripe on it. And I'd have just tossed it to him as a suggestion. "Here. Wear this for the shoot."

There would be no actual comment necessary. It would just have been a choice, understated touch.