Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Reader-Submitted FAQ #8: "Why even bother?"

This question makes me sad. Because I don't know. I'm not sure. Why bother?

Ultimately we can't know what comes next, or how what we're doing now will pan out or tie into what eventually happens to us. Does that mean what we do doesn't matter? Or does it just mean, we can't know whether or not it ultimately will matter?

I try to live my life in such a way that it matters as I go. Even if in no cosmic sense. Even if in no grand or important sense. Even if at the very end of the day when all the turns are tallied, some grim accountant will scratch out a running reconciliation of credits and debits, and sum it all up with a naught.

Screw that guy. He's the one that doesn't matter!

I bother because it's worth the bother. It's no bother to me. It would bother me not to.

Back to the FAQ

No comments: