Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Word Is Born.

They always tell me the bible is the Word, and Jesus is the Word Made Flesh. I don't know why that just makes sense to me. Rationally I can take a step back and ask "but what does that mean?" But I never really do, because it feels right! The bible is the same Word spoken through eternity, the same Word incarnated as our savior. And so reading the bible sometimes, I feel like I am sitting on Jesus's lap, and he is telling me stories! And there's more in there than just stories: wise sayings, poetry, jokes, tales of tragedy and battle and triumph and sacrifice. Yes, some rules and road-maps in there, too. Much of it told in parable, as we know is the Word's wont, as demonstrated so amply from when he was down here walking around, messing with the Pharisee's minds (he still does that! Today the Pharisee's call themselves 'biblical literalists' and are essentially the same group that kept missing the point back then). I love to sit and read, and take it all in - parables, prayers, songs, symbols, histories, heroes, and a moral or two too, one assumes. Much of it, steeped in mystery. But the whole thing told with love for me, and with trust in me that I'll trust in him to guide my understanding of it.

Man, that is a good book!

No comments: