Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Hard To Argue

"Aw, I don't even know what to do with life anymore."

The guy next to me said this. I was sitting at the bar. I want to make it clear, I'm not the kind of person to go sit at bars, drinking, as if the fact there's people around after the same purpose makes it any more sociable than just sitting at home drinking. Because it doesn't. At least, the way I do it.

But this particular bar is at a brew-pub, where I've gone many times after a strong hike up in Big Basin, to dig into their big Lomond Burger which has gorgonzola and caramelized onions to it. And it's so good. I used to come in here after every Big Basin hike with my girlfriend, and then since we broke up I haven't been hiking, really, but I came here a few times with my substitute girlfriend and she agreed it was an awesome burger, even though she wasn't interested in hiking. And then after that didn't work out, there was just no reason to make the drive. And I was missing the place (they brew their own TOP CLASS beers) and, yeah, I guess I can admit it, I was missing that burger. So I made up an excuse, and I drove all the way up there and I stopped in to have one. And I sat at the bar, because I don't like to use up a deuce-top in a busy place. And I got my burger.

The meat is so good, and the bun is so good, and the buttery onions and soft gorgonzola just melt into both. No ketchup on this one - save it for the fries. And may I say, the insides of these perfectly crisped big fat steak fries were so creamy with potato-y goodness that the only similar food effect that could come to mind as I bit in to a ketchup-topped fat steak-cut french fry was: this is like a perfect creamy new york cheesecake with cherry topping, except it's ketchup and fries.

So good. And I'm enjoying a pint of their Bonny Doon Amber as I chaw heartily on my Lomond burg, and this guy next to me says to the space directly in front of him, which doesn't have anyone in it:

"Awwww, I don't even know what to do with life anymore."

And I pause mid-about-to-take-a-bite, and I turn and look at him, and he turns and looks at me, and for a second I am fully prepared to nod, but before I can, he continues:

"It's a multi-variable situation."

Which, that caught me aback. I couldn't even nod, then. I was like, you got that shit right.

But I didn't say it though. That's just what I was like.

No comments: