Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Why Is YOUR HIGH SCHOOL in Wikipedia?

Go check! Is your High School in wikipedia? WHY is your high school in wikipedia?

Mine is. Therefore I assume everyone's is. And I assure you, my high school, love it though I do, is non-notable.

Isn't there supposed to be some "notability" requirement? Don't people with really marginal bands constantly bitch about their wikipedia article being deleted for their band being insufficiently "notable"? Aren't these people pathetic? But more to the point, aren't there roughly five high schools in every county? Are high schools not therefore, roughly as notable as KFC franchises?

I don't know, wikipedia. You tell me.

9 comments:

Sean Scully said...

Mine is sort of. My high school closed my senior year and was replaced - in the same buildings - by a high school merged with our hated arch rivals:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Potomac_High_School

Why it is Wikipedia, I cannot explain. It really wasn't that great, now that I think about it.

dogimo said...

That sucks to merge with your archrivals. I bet that put a wrench into the following year's homecoming game scheduling!

dogimo said...

Here's mine-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Spirit_High_School_(New_Jersey)

SPARTANS REPRESENT!!!!

Sean Scully said...

Curiously, your high school's slogan can also be reasonably translated "The high price of goods gets the better of all of us."

dogimo said...

They must either have come up with that slogan after I left, or else they played it real subtle because I have no recollection of any "slogan" during my sweet years there. Unless the slogan was, GO SPARTANS!!!!!

I can however still sing the whole Alma Mater Song.

Sean Scully said...

I believe my high school's official slogan was "hey, let's get wasted before the football game."

dogimo said...

Slap it through English->Latin babelfish and you got a winnah!

Sean Scully said...

Well, my Latin is more than a little rusty, but a handy online translator, and a little consultation with my ancient Cassell's Latin dictionary,which I kept for some reason, advises this:

"Age, permissum nos adepto attero pro football venatus."

Sounds good enough to me.

dogimo said...

It's a clear indicator to me why Rome fell. The concept of football was unknown to them!

The bloodsport of the gladiatorial arena is a pale, poor substitute. A couple of clumsy brutes hacking at each other with tin swords or being torn by drugged beasts. BORRRR-RING!!!