Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Saturday, March 06, 2010

Breakfast! The Important Way to Start The Day!

Today I fixed myself a variation on the Traditional Australian Breakfast - as laid out by dear reader Mel (hi Mel!). My variation was, instead of taking the Weetabix, pouring the milk on and topping with a few canned pear halves and some juice spooned over, I put in the Weetabix first, then the pears, and then I put the juice straight onto the Weetabix, so it soaked in a little. Then the milk. Actually, for all I know, Mel does it that same way.

I also fried up a couple eggs, over-medium, and toasted two english muffins. That sounds like a lot of carbs, but don't worry! I needed both those english muffins - one of them (two halves) got the egg on it - cut in strips and quickly lifted and piled on top of the crunchy muffin, in a yolky heap of eggy goodness! The other muffin (two halves) got the jam. So, it was necessary. I needed both.

Can I say here, I love the yolk? When I take my eggs fried, I always go over-medium, because I like to have a bit cooked hard to go with the runny, and also because I think the yolk benefits from the extra cook time / heat exposure. But I need that hot liquid yolk, golden and tasty! It just runs down into all your nooks and crannies, or soaks into the toast you use to sop up the plate. I love getting my biscuits and gravy involved in the egg yolk, that sticky complicity completes a breakfast mystery. I love getting yolk into the hash browns or home fried potatoes. Some yolk just makes everything breakfasty turn extra delicious! Even when you have a tall stack of flapjacks, and they put the egg on the same plate, and you groan - because really they should give you a side-plate right? Because the syrup...! But you don't complain or ask for a side plate, you just determine to manipulate things carefully. To avoid any noxious mixture. Or so you tell yourself. When inevitably you get a little yolk in the maple syrup, you act all "aw man!" - but secretly, you are all about that bit of cross-contamination! And soon you're "accidentally" getting some yolk on the pancakes too, as you sop the plate with a big forkful of sliced pancake. Aw yeah. You know you secretly love it.

Speaking of nooks and crannies, I conducted a bit of an experiment as well, vis-a-vis the muffins. You know how normally you pains-takingly pull the muffin halves apart, and sometimes it doesn't go well? Well, since I was toasting two, I pulled one apart with my bare hands as usual, and the other I cut clean through with a knife. I wanted to see which method produced superior nook and cranny action.

I thought I was being all scientific, but then I goofed it! Now I'm going to have to repeat the experiment, at some point. It wasn't quite conclusive. For it to have been a fair trial, I should have switched up halves, so that one of each (cut vs. pulled apart) got the egg, and one of each got the jam. That would have been a fair comparison - bite for bite.

My initial impression was, the cut had a slight edge on nooks, but the pulled-apart just killed it on the crannies.

6 comments:

Mel said...

Hi Joe!

I've been wondering how the Weet-A-Bix were going! I notice you still haven't actually said what you think of it :-D

Agreed on the yolk aspect of this post. After I poach my eggs and flop them onto the toast, I put the white part straight into the bin. I was told recently that the white part is actually the baby chicken, but that's not the reason I bin it, I just prefer the yellow-y gooey-ness over the white rubbery-ness.

limom said...

Boy, that made me hungry.
Thankfully it's almost lunch time.
You know, I'm having an awful hard time with the new post ratings.
Man, they are really messing with my head!

dogimo said...

@Mel - Well, I've got a whole box of it! I've only had like three bowls.

You wouldn't want me to give you an album review on track 3 would you? :-D

I never even NOTICE the white part. I eat like a MACHINE. A non-baby-chicken-noticing MACHINE. My powerful molars grind everything into an indistinguishably delicious paste! Then I swallow it down like some kind of... esophagus.

I can't be bothered to poach eggs, but when I go to Zachary's, I order the corned beef hash with 3 eggs poached, and I hollow out a depression in the center of all that hash and potatoes, and I carefully lift those eggs from their dish, letting the residual water drip off, and then I put the eggs in the middle and I just bust 'em up with a spoon and mix all that egg and yolk throughout! Until the whole thing is one glorious thing that I call: breakfast.

dogimo said...

@limom - huh? WHAT? I thought - what new post ratings?

I noticed mine weren't displaying. I thought it was a glitch! Does that mean I've lost all my stars forever??!

ARRRRR!

Anonymous said...

I was getting hungry reading that.
Sounds yummy....mmmmmmm
Your welcome to cook me breakfast anyday :-)

dogimo said...

@Branwen - LOL! Really, all I did was fry up a couple of eggs! :-D

I do a darn good job of it, though. I crack 'em one-handed and everything. The rest of it was pretty much cold cereal and toast (well, muffins!).

But it's the little touches that are so important.