Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Craving Chinese

So I've been craving Chinese, lately. The cuisine, I mean! Specifically, I've been craving General Chicken. More specifically, I've been craving General Chicken from Tam's on the Westside. But that's too long a haul! The food would be cooled by the time I got back.

So I decided to call one of the places here in town, closer to me. Take a chance. Try a new place. I'll be honest...I was a little nervous. Nobody's General Chicken is as good as Tam's! That stuff is better than CANDY. It's slightly citrus-sweet, crisp, hot, juicy, spicy, there's nothing in it but chicken and sauce and some peppers. It's all that plus a side of rice. So satisfying!

So this new place was nice, they were nice on the phone, I showed up, it was all very cute and nice. I arrived on time and my food was ready that instant. I paid and ran to the car with my hot bag. I was pretty hungry, and I'd been wanting that damn General Chicken for some time. It's been preying on my mind.

Man I tore out of there with that food. I actually ground the gears a little! Which I never do. They call me Mr. Smooth On The Clutch, for the most part.

As I slid up to the stop light, I smelled metal. Like burning breaks? I didn't think I ground the gears that bad! Aw, my poor car. I'm sorry car!

I always apologize profusely to my car, when I wrong it. Because the love is real between us.

Then I sniffed a few more times. Wait, is that the food? Uh-Oh.

HISTORY INTERLUDE

THE LEGEND OF GENERAL TSO

Many do not realize, there really was a "General Tso" of the famous "General Tso's Chicken" AKA "General Chicken." He was a hard man, a stern man. He commanded armies, to whom his word was law. But he was also a delight in the kitchen! After a lackluster day of battle, where his troops' performance was uninspired, the General found fault with his mess chefs. "This chicken you serve the men is bland! Tasteless! Uninspired! From now on, serve the men the same delicious slightly citrus-sweet crispy hot juicy spicy chicken that I myself make for my own dinner!"

"But sir," said the head chef. "Your recipe is a state secret! Any who see it must be beheaded."

"So it is," nodded the General himself, sagely in that wise way he had, which always inspired a certain confidence in his leadership. "Then the secret must be broken! From now on, I give my most inspired culinary creation to all!"

There was much cheering in the camps of General Tso's army that evening, and the next day, well-fed, fortified by that most sumptuous of traditional Chinese meals, the General's men went out and slaughtered the other army so thoroughly that history no longer records who they were, or what they ate!

The rest is History. The rest is Legend.

So anyway, I got home, I ate my General Chicken. It was quite tasty, but not as good as Tam's.

Nowhere's is as good as Tam's.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our local supermarket chain (called imaginatively The Superstore) has these kickass potato chips that are General Tso flavoured. Now, I assume they don't mean they taste like the actual dude, because they taste AWESOME. Really. They're full of MSG and unhealthy fats and taste fantastic. It's a conundrum whether to buy them but ultimately I cave now and then for that flavour. I'm sure the General would be proud his recipe served such a common but honourable good. Or something...

He might be less proud they got around all sorts of legal copyright by spelling it "General Tsau".

John Dantzer said...

I've never heard of General Chicken. It sounds hilarious. Not the kind of dude I'd like leading me into battle. A bit frightened. Do you have ginger beef? It is excellent. "Here, Ginger. (Whistle sounds). Ginger! Come here!".

dogimo said...

General Tso flavored potato chips? Man, that sounds choice. HIGH-END. I need to try those.

I know they spell "Tso" a lot of different ways! I've seen "Tsau" as well, and several others. But I think (as jorg alludes) - I think it just means "Chicken", right?

Which, if that's the case, then to say "General Tso Chicken" is kind of redundant.

General Chicken Chicken.

Jorg - whatever the specific etymology of the name, I'm pretty sure that in the Chinese Zodiac setup, the chicken is considered to be a pretty brave animal. I'm not sure if the higher bravery is a natural, genetic thing, or if they breed them for it. Or maybe it's just cultural!