Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Friday, June 18, 2010

Fine Dining Fine Lines #9: A Little More

When you've ordered the house smoked salmon on greens with wasabi aioli and bread, and you get part-way through it and ask them for another little ramekin of aioli, or a little more bread, they will bring it to you. They are happy to do it! But if you then go on to ask them to bring you a little more salmon - you will get the look.

You have crossed the fine line. No one knows why. It's just how it is.

Even if you had asked for a little more bed of greens (for instance), they would have had no problem with that. They would have brought that to you. But don't be deceived: you can't indefinitely perform an incremental Christ-like multiplication of loaves and fishes on your chosen dish, just because it was maybe a little smaller than you expected.

The fine line is there.

1 comment:

dogimo said...

Let's see if I'm psychic. I just had a flash that this was an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm. I never even watched that show. I only saw a small part of the episode where he tries to steal Richard Lewis's mantra, and another small part of the ep where he's in NY, something to do with The Producers.

This situation didn't occur in either ep, but I just got a psychic hunch that I stole it from Larry David somehow. Let's see who calls me on it.

MUST CITE SEASON AND EPISODE TITLE OR NUMBER.