Do You Feel Lucky?

(and feel free to comment! My older posts are certainly no less relevant to the burning concerns of the day.)

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Reviews Once Removed #1: Land Of The Lost

~ in which I review films I haven't seen, solely on the basis of the impression created by another critic's take ~

More Like 'Land Of What Was The Point Of This Movie?'!

(based on Roger Ebert's review)

You know what? I wouldn't bother to see this movie. I like Will Ferrell and all, and Danny McBride is hilarious as Kenny Powers on "Eastbound and Down," but whoever Anna Friel is, a search for nude pics comes up blank* and overall the whole thing doesn't sound like it all holds together well enough to be worth my while. Now don't mistake me: I don't have any problem with preposterous kitchen-sink larkish sci-fi goofs! Or even preposterous kitchen-sink goofish sci-fi larks. But this one just sounds like they weren't trying hard enough, to hang it at the right angle and make it gloriously askew for me, the prospective viewer.

Time machines? Alternate dimensions? The Land Of The Lost was supposed to be a squirreled-away-corner-tucked-into-the-cracks-of-the-physical-world-deal - not some tesseract-access-only parallel realm! And Marshall, Will and Holly were family - not a prickly love-hate-flirt triangle! And Will Ferrell played a Federal Wildlife Marshal named Marshal Willenholly in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back!

This film is clearly a pretty mixed bag. I'm not a big fan of making excuses for crappy F/x, but then, I'm pretty impressed by how Sid and Marty Krofft are listed as producers - so maybe there's something to the excuse. That's good info. Go Sid and Marty! I'm less impressed by all the name-checking of film-critic fraternity luminaries. Who cares. That's not why I read a film review.

Anyway, bottom line: go see it. He gave it three stars and a thumb!

And when you get back, tell me how it was.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anna Friel is Uk actress who acted in a small-time soap over here called 'Brookside'. Her acting was a bit better than the normal run-of-the-mill soap actors, but she became well known for her lesbian kiss in one of the soap scenes.

Hope this helps :)

dogimo said...

That does help! Information comes in gangs these days, and it's hard to tell what might be important to note - so any time a living person takes time to single something out, for me that separates it from the deluge of the merely factual and lets me know: hey, this might actually be of interest!

Plus, I love the UK and its cinematic and televisual exports!

So what I'm getting at is: do you recommend I see the film or what?